Job no: 492453
Work Type: Staff full-time
Categories: Information Technology, Staff
ACU is affiliated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ. All applicants must be professing Christians and willing to support the Christian mission and purpose of Abilene Christian University while employed by the university.
|Title of Position
||Abilene Christian University - Abilene Campus
||A. The primary responsibility of this position is to advance ACU’s ability to effectively use, promote, and rely on accurate, timely data.
B. This position will work closely with internal business leads and technical resources to create and deploy reporting and analytic solutions. These solutions will include content such as reports, dashboards, extracts, etc.
C. In addition to development activities, this position will provide assistance in the maintenance and administration of campus business intelligence and analytic systems. These tasks may include security administration, software testing and release management, and upgrade planning.
A. Promote the position that data has strategic value to the health and effectiveness of the university.
1. Work with campus offices to develop analytic solutions that enable those offices to effectively use and analyze data.
2. Develop reports, dashboards, extracts, and data feeds for campus offices. These
B. Work with campus offices to ensure the accuracy of reportable data.
1. As data becomes reportable, ensure that the data is accurately reported by user-facing tools.
2. Help develop and implement training resources to help end-users effectively use their data.
3. Help develop plans to review changes in operational data to ensure reports and analytics remain accurate.
4. Work with the Director of Analytics to review long-term needs for reports and analytics. Retire reports and analytics that are no longer needed.
C. Work with campus offices to encourage the development of self-service analytic skills.
1. Help develop training plans for end-users on how data can be accessed, what data is available to report upon, and how to use third-party tools.
2. Encourage the continued expansion of reportable data.
3. Encourage departments to expand the number of expert end-user report and analytic authors.
|Professional Development Requirements
1. A qualified candidate for this position will have demonstrated an understanding that data is essential to the effectiveness of an organization. The candidate will understand how data relates to other data; how to organize data; and how to use data to answer questions and inform decisions. At a minimum, the candidate will have a strong understanding and ability to use tools that represent tabular data (Excel, Python pandas, R dataframes). The more the candidate has worked with diverse datasets the better.
2. In addition to the skills possessed by a qualified candidate, a more qualified candidate will have demonstrated a strong understanding of how to manipulate data. These skills may be demonstrated by the use of SQL. ACU’s operational and analytic data sources are primarily housed in Oracle, but any relational SQL understanding is applicable to this position. Dataframe based data knowledge (as used in R or Python Pandas) is also applicable to this position. Additional desired skills would be proficiency in programming languages such as Python, C#, Java, etc.
3. A very qualified candidate will have demonstrated the ability to help an organization answer data related questions using centrally managed analytic tools. These skills are best demonstrated by the mastery of tools such as Tableau, QlikView, OBIEE, Power BI, or Cognos. The very qualified candidate will have worked with a diverse cross-section of an organization at all levels of the hierarchy, including senior leadership, to promote data-driven decision making. Additional skills that are desired are: OLTP data access and manipulation; ETL and ELT tool experience; non-relational datasets (DynamoDB, Hadoop, etc.)
B. Training Modules Required
1. Software development seminars or training.
2. Applications training.
3. Operating systems training.
4. Database Management Systems training or courses.
5. Interpersonal and communications classes and workshops.
6. Time and multiple priorities management workshops.
1. BS or BA Degree.
2. Demonstrated ability to work with data as described in the Skills section of this job description.
1. Work as a team member.
2. Good communications skills: oral and written.
3. Strong people skills: interact with students, faculty, staff, contractors, and vendors.
||A. Must be able to work with a computer for extended periods of time (88% of the time).
B. Must be able to work occasional extended work hours. This includes responding to telephone calls outside of business hours while maintaining normal work hours.
ACU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, disability, genetic information, national or ethnic origin in employment opportunities, in keeping with applicable state and federal law.
ACU is committed to maintaining a safe and secure campus environment and protecting the university's financial and physical assets. Therefore, Abilene Christian University conducts background checks on all candidates for employment in security sensitive positions.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend