ACU is affiliated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ. All applicants must be professing Christians and willing to support the Christian mission and purpose of Abilene Christian University while employed by the university.
|Title of Position
||Abilene Christian University - Remote
||College of Graduate and Professional Studies
||$20/hour - $25/hour
||A. Provide formative writing instruction and feedback to doctoral and master’s students.
||A. Provide formative and developmental writing instruction delivered through reviews of student course papers, dissertation chapters, research proposals, and preliminary drafts.
1. Create and deliver writing instruction through a variety of tools including Screencastomatic and Turnitin Feedback Studio.
2. Provide both synchronous and asynchronous writing instruction.
3. Create and deliver webinars on instructional topics related to writing.
4. Review dissertation chapters and papers for content, organization, task fulfillment, academic integrity, voice, flow, cohesion, and APA adherence.
5. Answer student inquiries about document formatting, APA style, and writing-related concerns in developing, researching, and publishing scholarly work.
6. Provide webinars on use of automatic citation tools such as Zotero.
7. Collaborate with faculty to identify student writing needs.
8. Maintain and communicate records of student progress, including challenges and successes.
9. Timely and accurate response to student inquiries
i. Work hours will be Wednesday through Monday morning, so the tutor would need to check email at least once in the morning and once in evening and respond to all student inquiries
10. Timely and accurate feedback based on training guidelines; feedback should be delivered in 24-48 hours after student appointments
11. Polite interaction with students
12. Proper "customer service" approach
13. Handling of the weekly workload by the required deadline of Monday morning
14. Ability to use canned comment and screencasting tools to provide feedback on both higher and lower order concerns
15. Ability to troubleshoot technical issues independently
16. Complete other duties as assigned by the Director of CGPS Writing Center.
17. Serve as Subject Matter Experts in writing and help with writing center course and content development
18. Comply with all pertinent policies and procedures outlined in Abilene Christian University’s Dissertation Handbook, Faculty Guidelines, and those specified by ACU’s College of Graduate and Professional Studies.
1. Attention to detail.
2. Time management skills.
3. Maintain confidentiality.
4. Computer software skills.
5. Excellent communication, writing, and interpersonal abilities.
6. Critical thinking and analytical skills.
7. Organizational skills.
8. Ability to collaborate or work independently as the situation requires.
B. Training Modules Required
1. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access
1. Doctoral degree from an accredited institution (in a social science related field preferred), Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in English or a related field.
2. Experience working with online adult learners.
3. Expertise in APA style and sufficient familiarity with social science research to effectively coach students writing their research studies.
4. Five to seven years of experience in composition writing instruction preferred.
5. Expertise (teaching and research) in use of learning technologies to provide individualized feedback and meet non-traditional, adult, and multilingual learners’ needs. Specific experience in online writing instruction preferred.
6. Demonstrated success in use of evidence-based approaches to feedback appealing to diverse learning styles and student populations.
7. Experience, expertise, and publications in providing positive and constructive feedback to developmental writers.
8. Competence in (online) writing center pedagogy serving graduate students; understanding of writing as an iterative process.
9. Demonstrated understanding of approaches to feedback based on Higher and Lower Order Concerns depending on draft quality and stage of student writing competency development.
10. Demonstrated expertise in writing instruction and feedback.
11. Superb written communication skills.
12. Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Power Point.
13. Competency in use of Screencast-O-Matic and similar software to create screencasts and provide individualized feedback on student writing.
14. Knowledge of Web 2.0 tools and virtual meeting software such as Skype, Google Hangout, and Zoom.
15. Competency in use of course management tools including Canvas.
16. Preferred: basic knowledge of WCOnline scheduling system.
1. Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
2. Sensitivity to backgrounds and needs of adult learners.
3. Ability to collaborate and work independently as situation requires.
4. Ability to learn and use a variety of digital and learning technologies.
||A. Majority of work is performed in front of a computer and on the telephone; must have ability to use the computer and remain stationary for long periods of time.
B. Manage conversations in person, online and by telephone.
C. Work well under pressure and manage stress well.
D. Communicate clearly: speak, read, write, and hear clearly to perform essential functions.
ACU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, disability, genetic information, national or ethnic origin in employment opportunities, in keeping with applicable state and federal law.
ACU is committed to maintaining a safe and secure campus environment and protecting the university's financial and physical assets. Therefore, Abilene Christian University conducts background checks on all candidates for employment in security sensitive positions.