NEXT Lab Senior Mechanical Engineer
Job no: 492592
Work Type: Staff full-time, Staff reduced full-time
ACU is affiliated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ. All applicants must be professing Christians and willing to support the Christian mission and purpose of Abilene Christian University while employed by the university.
|Title of Position
||NEXT Lab Senior Mechanical Engineer
||Exempt/ Full-Time or Reduced Full-Time
- Lead and contribute to mechanical engineering design on projects from concept to operation in the scope of the lab’s mission for molten salt-cooled nuclear reactor technologies.
- Research, design, evaluate, install, operate, and maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements relevant to fluoride and nitrite-based molten salt test loops.
- Direct material selection and fabrication where applicable to custom systems.
- Maintain detailed documentation of drawings, design concepts, process sheets, procedures, and concepts in accordance with the lab Quality Management System.
- Participate in cross disciplinary teams to address and resolve design, operation and quality assurance problems.
- Write technical reports as directed to document engineering analysis and findings.
- Support engineers applying computational fluid dynamic (CFD) analyses to molten salt systems.
- Provide support for student engineers on demand basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with 3 to 5 years experience. Preferred: Master’s or PhD with experience.
- Previous product development experience in a manufacturing or research environment.
- Understanding of basic practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations.
- Knowledge/Experience of industrial Instrumentation & Control Systems (I&C).
- Knowledge/Experience of Mechanical Systems (pumps, valves, flow modeling) related to molten salt loops at high temperatures (700 to 800 C).
- Knowledge of industry and regulatory standards pertaining to the nuclear power industry, such as NQA1 (preferred).
- Prior experience in Engineering Programs, System Engineering, Component Engineering and/or design of mechanical systems in Nuclear Power Plants (preferred).
- Experience with piping design modifications or pipe stress analysis (preferred).
- Experience conducting experiments that involve conductive heat or mass transfer.
- Experience using commercial codes for modeling heat transfer.
- Superb communication, teamwork, and people skills with demonstrable ability to perform effectively in a teaming environment.
- Ability to adapt to frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Experience with CAD/AutoCAD; SolidWorks; AutoDesk Inventor, or ProE.
ACU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, disability, genetic information, national or ethnic origin in employment opportunities, in keeping with applicable state and federal law.
ACU is committed to maintaining a safe and secure campus environment and protecting the university's financial and physical assets. Therefore, Abilene Christian University conducts background checks on all candidates for employment in security sensitive positions.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend