ACU is affiliated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ. All applicants must be professing Christians and willing to support the Christian mission and purpose of Abilene Christian University while employed by the university.
|Title of Position
||Classroom Support Technician
||Abilene Christian University - Abilene Campus
||Technology Support Services
||A. Acquire, install, modify, and maintain supported software products for both Windows and Macintosh in labs, classrooms, and open area computers.
B. Find and evaluate new products and make recommendations for usage; ensure software functionality for faculty and staff.
C. Communicate regularly with faculty and departments on requests, repairs, upgrades, and installations.
D. Collaborate with other technicians to request and offer new and innovative technical information.
A. Support and Diagnosis
1. Coordinate with Education Technology, faculty and staff to determine lab software, analyze viability, and make recommendations.
2. Utilize lab management software to set up, image and maintain both Windows and Macintosh computer labs, classrooms and open area computers.
3. Coordinate with other Information Technology groups to identify and escalate problems as well as implement solutions.
4. Supervise and mentor student technician employees and provide a second point of contact for faculty/staff technical questions/needs/services.
5. Maintain and operate various servers and server-based applications/databases.
6. Utilize a computerized work order system for tracking work requests, solutions, and providing statistics.
7. Contribute to collective knowledge via knowledge bases, how-to documentation, etc.
B. Upgrades and Maintenance
1. Perform and implement systems maintenance, making program modifications as necessary to meet user or IT requirements.
2. Implement new or upgraded software; evaluate and confirm functionality with input from other IT groups; create documentation for software.
3. Develop scripts, batch files, and other automated systems to assist in the maintenance and deployment of software changes.
4. Assist customers with analyzing performance problems and making necessary modifications.
C. Research and Development
1. Maintain current knowledge of IT trends and innovations; attend and participate in IT training, seminars, and conferences.
2. Report recommendations and findings and provide documentation; offer tutorials on using software as needed.
3. Establish pilots or betas to test validity of proposed software/hardware changes.
4. Collaborate with Directors and Managers in providing aid in the production of campus communication.
5. Think and act innovatively, moving ACU forward in new and innovative ways.
D. Teamwork and Collaboration
1. Collaborate with other IT teams to provide customer-focused IT solutions; participate as a team member on projects small and large.
2. Participate actively on the Technology Support team to build rapport with other team members.
3. Support other technicians as needed, when possible.
|Professional Development Requirements
A. Skills Required
1. Strong communication skills, interpersonal skills, and human-relations abilities are required for establishing and maintaining effective working relationships; the ability to communicate with customers who have diverse technical knowledge.
2. Logical thinking is required to read technical information, compose technical documents, facilitate technical discussions, and solve problems.
3. Knowledge and skill with various computer operating systems and local area network applications.
4. Principles, practices, methods, and techniques used in the installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of systems, networks, and applications.
5. An aptitude for technology.
B. Knowledge Required:
1. Training with Windows hardware/software.
2. Training with Macintosh hardware/software.
3. Basic knowledge of wired/wireless networks, enterprise systems and servers.
||A. Professional and Personal
1. Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in computers or related field or equivalent experience.
2. Experience and competence with both Windows and Mac hardware and software. Experience and competence with iOS-based mobile devices. Experience and competence with other emerging technology.
3. Analytical skills: ability to work through complex problems, acute attention to detail, and technical knowledge.
4. Ability to adapt to changing technologies and learn functionality of new equipment and systems.
5. Communication skills: strong verbal and written; ability to understand descriptions of problems and ability to convey information and solutions.
6. Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
7. Ability to work effectively in and with a team.
8. Ability to manage time; ability to multitask; self-motivated.
9. Have a high tolerance of stress: not easily angered or upset.
10. Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
||A. Manual dexterity: typing, plugging/unplugging connections, use of a mouse/trackpad, etc.
B. Lifting computers and monitors 30 lbs. in weight.
C. Crawling, bending over/under furniture, cramped spaces, etc. Moving monitors, computers, and other technology equipment.
D. Good vision (read monitors, examine connectors, etc.); 20/20 correctable vision.
ACU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, disability, genetic information, national or ethnic origin in employment opportunities, in keeping with applicable state and federal law.
ACU is committed to maintaining a safe and secure campus environment and protecting the university's financial and physical assets. Therefore, Abilene Christian University conducts background checks on all candidates for employment in security sensitive positions.