A. Advance the NEXT Lab project toward a prototype non-nuclear molten salt reactor.
1. Assist with planning objectives, timelines, budgets, and resources needed to meet the objectives.
2. Work with the NEXT Director, advisory board, and faculty to plan long-term strategy.
B. Coordinate faculty and help supervise student work.
1. Work with faculty to ensure smooth communication and cooperation between NEXT teams.
2. Perform administrative supervision of student work on the NEXT project.
3. Work in conjunction with faculty of the various NEXT teams to mentor students.
C. Contribute to solutions of engineering and science problems as they arise.
1. The NEXT project is inherently interdisciplinary, and will be aided by someone who can know enough about each of the parts to bring forward critical issues at appropriate times.
2. Maintain and troubleshoot equipment, initiate capital equipment purchases, arrange service contracts on capital equipment, and manage inventories of the lab and purchasing.
D. Uphold and enforce safety, documentation and IP policies.
1. Oversees general upkeep of the NEXT laboratory that complies with institutional safety guidelines and maintains appropriate records.
2. Ensuring that all work is documented properly (NEXT Lab has a goal of achieving NQA-1 standard).
3. Assist in enforcing and maintaining the IP policy.
E. Produce literature and in the form of publications, white papers, conference participation, or patent applications that raise the profile of the NEXT project.
1. Disseminates the findings of the studies through reports, abstract submission to professional conferences, presentation at regional/national/international conferences, and/or manuscripts for peer-review consistent with institutional and funding agency policies
2. Prepares or assists in preparing grant applications for funding from external funding agencies (including governmental, philanthropic, and/or private).
F. Support public-facing documentation for the NEXT lab.
1. Work with the NEXT webmaster to maintain a current website for the NEXT Lab.
2. Assist in efforts to promote the NEXT Lab.
G. Support the Engineering and Physics Department as an adjunct in relevant courses as needed.
H.Performs other duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.