ACU is affiliated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ. All applicants must be professing Christians and willing to support the Christian mission and purpose of Abilene Christian University while employed by the university.
|Title of Position
||Abilene Christian University - Abilene Campus
||A. Protection of life and property on the campus and other properties of Abilene
Christian University and certain other extended jurisdictional areas, providing for the overall safety of persons and the protection of University and personal property.
B. Enforcement of all local, State and federal laws on the ACU campus, other ACU properties and other defined jurisdiction areas. Enforcement of all applicable university rules and regulations concerning parking and other university regulations on the ACU campus.
C. Provide patrol, respond to calls for service, and maintain enforcement of local, State and federal laws off-campus within the extended jurisdictional area provided by annual agreement between the Abilene Police Department and the ACU Police Department.
D. Conduct initial on-scene investigations and filing of appropriate offense reports both on-campus and within the extended jurisdictional area as agreed upon by Abilene Police Department and ACU Police Department.
E. Providing other safety and security services to ACU faculty, staff and visitors as
A. Protection of life and property.
1. Patrol of all ACU campus and properties and other extended jurisdictional areas. Patrol may include foot patrol, vehicle patrol and bicycle patrol.
2. Respond to all emergency calls for service on ACU campus, all other ACU properties, as well as within the extended jurisdictional areas.
3. Investigate all suspicious activity reported or observed on ACU campus, properties or within the extended jurisdictional areas.
4. Patrol and monitoring of all campus buildings and facilities, locking/unlocking as needed.
5. Work closely with Student Life and Residence Life Education and Housing personnel regarding security and personal safety needs for all members of the ACU community residing on the ACU campus in applicable ACU housing.
6. Maintain relationships with APD beat officers assigned to the ACU patrol area, communicating information as needed between APD & ACUPD.
B. Enforcement of all laws and university policies/regulations on ACU campus and properties.
1. Maintain a working knowledge of all applicable local, State and federal traffic and penal laws, fairly applying and enforcing them within the ACU on-campus and off-campus jurisdictions.
2. Monitor all ACU parking lots for violations of university parking regulations and issue applicable citations to violators and vehicles.
C. Conduct initial on-scene investigations and filing of proper reports.
1. Respond to all calls for service within university jurisdiction, extended jurisdiction, or as requested by outside agencies.
2. Assess situations, determining offense if any, conducting initial interview with victims, suspects and witnesses as applicable.
3. Notify other emergency response personnel as needed. Assist other law enforcement agency or other emergency response personnel as required or requested when incidents occur outside of or adjacent to university police jurisdiction.
4. Complete and file proper reports and forms as required by departmental policy and/or law.
D. Providing other safety and security services to ACU faculty, staff and visitors as needed.
1. Provide safety/security escorts of individuals on campus when requested.
2. Assist members of ACU community with vehicle unlocks and jumpstarts on or near ACU campus when requested.
3. Assist with unscheduled unlocks of buildings /offices as requested by ACU faculty or staff.
4. Maintain a service-oriented attitude at all times.
|Professional Development Requirements
1. Personal communication skills, verbal, written and social.
2. Basic computer skills.
3. Basic telephone skills.
4. Good interpersonal skills and specifically the ability to positively and professionally interact with people in enforcement situations, which often create stressful or negative encounters with people.
B. Training Modules Required
1. Complete annual training hours as required by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) for annual validation of Texas Peace Officer License.
2. Annual firearms training and qualification scores as mandated by TCOLE and Departmental policy.
1. High School Diploma or GED certificate.
2. Current Texas Peace Officer TCOLE license certification.
3. Valid and non-suspended or inactive Texas Drivers License.
1. Because of ACU’s affiliation with the churches of Christ, this employee must be a professing Christian willing to support the Christian mission and purpose of the university while employed by ACU.
2. Have no felony convictions of any kind, or any misdemeanor convictions of crimes involving moral turpitude.
3. Have no convictions for DUI/DWI.
4. Have the ability to work well without direct supervision.
5. Have the ability to interact well with all students, faculty, staff and visitors of ACU, maintaining a positive, service oriented attitude in all types of circumstances and contacts.
6. High level of personal integrity and confidentiality due to working with and access to sensitive information pertaining to criminal and university investigations.
7. Adaptability and resourcefulness in handling unanticipated scheduling changes and other unusual circumstances typical of law enforcement duties.
||A. These are physical demands that are regularly required to perform this job.
1. Must be able to perform basic physical skills such as walking and the ability to stand for extended time periods and in all types of weather conditions, day or night.
2. Must be able to lift and carry loads such as traffic cones, barricades, items of evidence, office supplies and perform other minor physical labor related to providing services such as vehicle jump starts, vehicle unlocks and occasional changing of automobile tires for individuals.
3. Must be able to use physical force as necessary to execute arrests, restrain individuals as needed in performance of duties and perform other essential job duties.
ACU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, disability, genetic information, national or ethnic origin in employment opportunities, in keeping with applicable state and federal law.
ACU is committed to maintaining a safe and secure campus environment and protecting the university's financial and physical assets. Therefore, Abilene Christian University conducts background checks on all candidates for employment in security sensitive positions.