ACU is affiliated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ. All applicants must be professing Christians and willing to support the Christian mission and purpose of Abilene Christian University while employed by the university.
|Title of Position
||Writing Center Tutor
||Up to 18.5 hours a week/ $20-$25 an hour
||Nonexempt Part time
||A. Provide formative writing instruction and feedback to doctoral and master’s students.
A. Provide formative and developmental writing instruction delivered through reviews of
student course papers, dissertation chapters, research proposals, and preliminary
1. Create and deliver writing instruction through a variety of tools including Turnitin
Feedback Studio, Microsoft Word, and Screencast-O-Matic.
2. Provide both synchronous and asynchronous writing instruction.
3. Create and deliver webinars on instructional topics related to writing.
4. Review dissertation chapters and papers for content, organization, task
fulfillment, academic integrity, voice, flow, cohesion, and APA adherence.
5. Answer student inquiries about document formatting, APA style, and writing-
related concerns in developing, researching, and publishing scholarly work.
6. Create and deploy instructional resources on writing-related topics.
7. Collaborate with faculty and tutors to identify student writing needs.
8. Maintain and communicate records of student progress, including challenges and
9. Complete other duties as assigned by the Director of CGPS Writing Center.
10. Comply with all pertinent policies and procedures outlined in Abilene Christian
University’s Dissertation Handbook, Faculty Guidelines, and those specified by
ACU’s College of Graduate and Professional Studies.
|Professional Development Requirements
1. Attention to detail.
2. Time management skills.
3. Maintain confidentiality.
4. Computer software skills.
5. Excellent communication, writing, and interpersonal abilities.
6. Critical thinking and analytical skills.
7. Organizational skills.
8. Ability to collaborate or work independently as the situation requires.
B. Training Modules Required
1. Microsoft Word products, Google Drive
1. Master’s or doctoral degree from an accredited institution in English or social
science related field.
2. Experience working with online adult learners.
3. Expertise in APA style and sufficient familiarity with social science research
to effectively coach students writing their research studies.
4. Five to seven years of experience in composition writing instruction preferred.
5. Expertise (teaching and research) in use of learning technologies to provide
individualized feedback and meet non-traditional, adult, and multilingual
learners’ needs. Specific experience in online writing instruction preferred.
6. Demonstrated success in use of evidence-based approaches to feedback
appealing to diverse learning styles and student populations.
7. Experience, expertise, and publications in providing positive and constructive
feedback to developmental writers.
8. Competence in (online) writing center pedagogy serving graduate students;
understanding of writing as an iterative process.
9. Demonstrated understanding of approaches to feedback based on Higher and
Lower Order Concerns depending on draft quality and stage of student writing
10. Superb written communication skills.
11. Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Power Point.
12. Competency in use of Screencast-O-Matic and similar software to create
screencasts and provide individualized feedback on student writing.
13. Knowledge of Web 2.0 tools and virtual meeting software such as Skype,
Google Hangout, and Zoom.
14. Competency in use of course management tools including Canvas.
15. Basic knowledge of WCOnline scheduling system preferred.
1. Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
2. Sensitivity to backgrounds and needs of adult learners.
3. Ability to collaborate and work independently as situation requires.
4. Ability to learn and use a variety of digital and learning technologies.
||A. Majority of work is performed in front of a computer and on the telephone; must
have ability to use the computer and remain stationary for long periods of time.
B. Manage conversations in person, online and by telephone.
C. Work well under pressure and manage stress well.
D. Communicate clearly: speak, read, write, and hear clearly to perform
||For questions, contact Julie Johnson, Assistant Director of the Online Writing Center, at email@example.com
ACU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, disability, genetic information, national or ethnic origin in employment opportunities, in keeping with applicable state and federal law.
ACU is committed to maintaining a safe and secure campus environment and protecting the university's financial and physical assets. Therefore, Abilene Christian University conducts background checks on all candidates for employment in security sensitive positions.