A. Provide Health Care
1. Perform nurse triage duties as needed to determine if, when and by whom a patient needs
to be seen.
2. Prepare patients for and assist with examinations and treatments, including tests and
therapies by taking vital signs including height, weight, manual blood pressure (or by using
the Dynamap) pulse oximetry, respiration rate, and temperature.
3. Prepare supplies or equipment for minor procedures. Protect patients and others by
adhering to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage
procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
4. Administer immunotherapy and other injections per practitioner order, TB skin tests and
immunizations (TDap and Seasonal Influenza) to patients. Coordinate with ordering
5. Clean, maintain and stock rooms with equipment, supplies and linens. Sterilize
instruments. Maintain a safe and clean working environment by complying with
procedures, rules and regulations.
6. Demonstrate proper technique and skills required in intravenous access and medical
7. Proficient in phlebotomy technique and proper preparation of specimen for lab testing.
Submit practitioner lab orders and patient specimen to specified lab.
8. Review lab results and collaborate with patients and practitioners.
9. Ability to conduct, interpret and explain specified point of care laboratory tests.
10. Instruct patients on topics such as health education and disease prevention.
11. Manage prescription refill requests.
12. Ability to interpret medical laboratory test results. Be able to explain testing procedure to
13. Perform day-to-day administrative tasks such as managing phone calls and processing and
scanning paperwork into electronic health record.
B. Screen and Evaluate Patients
1. Record patient medical information and vital signs. Document patient care by charting in
electronic health record. Maintain patient confidence by keeping information confidential.
2. Monitor, record and report symptoms and changes in patient condition to medical
3. As directed by the medical practitioner, make referrals to and appointments with other
medical providers in the community.
C. Maintain Records
1. Maintain accurate, detailed reports and records on all patients.
2. Participate in chart review activities as requested by the Practice Manager.
D. Equipment and Supplies
1. Maintain medical supplies by checking stock to determine inventory level and expiration
dates; anticipate needed supplies; place and expedite orders for supplies; verify receipt of
supplies; properly use and maintain equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish
safe, accurate results.
2. Ensure operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements,
following manufacturer's instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, calling for repairs,
maintaining equipment inventories, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
E. Provide Teaching
1. Deliver patient education
2. Provide or arrange for training or instruction of auxiliary personnel
3. Engage in research activities related to nursing
4. Speak to various groups or classes when appropriate
E. Participate in Team Activities
1. Attend and participate in scheduled Medical Clinic staff meetings, Student Life division
meetings and ACU Staff meetings
2. Interact with and participate in the care of counseling clients when requested by the
3. Be willing to do various jobs when asked; maintain a good knowledge of the operations
of the Medical Clinic and ACU policies.
|Professional Development Requirements
1. Good interpersonal relationship and communication skills.
2. Knowledge and experience in the nursing profession and health care. Emphasis is on
outpatient, acute care.
3. Adaptable and flexible attitude to a developing and changing medical environment.
4. The ability to complete tasks with accuracy and efficiency.
B. Training Modules Required
1. Banner and Medicat systems
2. LabCorp and Hendrick Regional Lab procedures
3. Participation in professional organizations such as the American College Health
4. Maintain continuing education requirements for licensure, especially in college health or
related topics. Proof of CEUs will be given to the Practice Manager upon completion.
1. Diploma/Degree as a Registered Nurse, with a current Texas nursing license.
2. Experience providing health care. Outpatient care experience is desirable.
3. Experience and continuing education with health related topics, particularly in the young
1. Develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish your work.
2. Analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
3. Develop positive, constructive and cooperative working relationships with others. Work to
maintain a cooperative relationship with co-workers by participating in team problem
–solving methods to accomplish results as needed.
4. Strong interpersonal and communication skills
5. Competence and ability to relate to and interact with all levels of students, employees and
their families and a true interest in the ACU community
ACU does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, disability, genetic information, national or ethnic origin in employment opportunities, in keeping with applicable state and federal law.
ACU is committed to maintaining a safe and secure campus environment and protecting the university's financial and physical assets. Therefore, Abilene Christian University conducts background checks on all candidates for employment in security sensitive positions.