Resident Advisor (RA)
Job no: 492477
Work Type: Student employee
Categories: Student Services
ACU is affiliated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ. All applicants must be professing Christians and willing to support the Christian mission and purpose of Abilene Christian University while employed by the university.
|Title of Position
||Resident Advisor (RA)
|Hours per Week
||The primary role of the Resident Advisor (RA) is to develop relationships with students in order to walk alongside them as they learn about themselves, their relationship with Christ, and the ACU community. The RA develops such relationships through everyday conversations, programming, confrontation, and peer mentoring. Additionally, the RA is to support the Resident Director (RD) in all administrative tasks to help keep the community safe, clean and in working order.
|Position Description/ Job Duties
||Engaging the Resident
1. Engage students in authentic and appropriate relationships.
2. Engage in “tough conversations” that assist in student development and uphold distinctive community expectations that encourage students to become Christ-centered and ethical leaders who think critically, globally and missionally.
3. Establish and maintain communication and relationships with students living in your community.
4. Serve as a student mentoring resource – fully utilizing campus professionals and resources.
5. Create a welcoming and comfortable living environment for the community.
6. Address issues of intolerance, hate and injustice in a thorough and prompt manner.
7. Engage students in new activities that may open new perspectives on issues and topics.
8. Connect with supervisory staff to support each resident’s academic success and communicate individual student needs.
1. Support residential community development through the completion of administrative tasks, including information sharing through written reports and weekly meetings.
2. Participate in move-in and move-out procedures.
3. Attend required trainings and leadership development opportunities.
4. Model a commitment to spiritual, personal and professional development as well as appropriate adherence to handbook policies and hall guidelines.
5. Participate in bi-weekly one-on-one meetings with the RD and the residence hall’s SCL.
6. Various administrative tasks, often determined by the specific needs outlined by your RD.
1. Daily communication and interaction with residents.
2. Collaboration with hall community members and staff members for campus events and program ideas, development and execution.
3. Report on and follow-up with student and staff concerns and needs.
4. Assist with roommate disputes, student concerns and hall announcements.
5. Freshman RAs: Curfew Checks – three (3) nights per week.
6. Sophomore RAs: Resident Checks – weekly interaction with every resident residing on the RA’s hall.
7. Minimum of six (6) hours per week actively engaging the hall community.
8. Serve in RA On Duty rotation including supervising Open House
9. Attend all Residence Life staff trainings
10. Other duties as directed by the RD
||Monday - Friday
ACU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, disability, genetic information, national or ethnic origin in employment opportunities, in keeping with applicable state and federal law.
ACU is committed to maintaining a safe and secure campus environment and protecting the university's financial and physical assets. Therefore, Abilene Christian University conducts background checks on all candidates for employment in security sensitive positions.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend