ACU is affiliated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ. All applicants must be professing Christians and willing to support the Christian mission and purpose of Abilene Christian University while employed by the university.
|Title of Position
||Adjunct - Writing Center Faculty
||Abilene Christian University - Remote
||College of Graduate and Professional Studies
||A. Provide high quality instruction, direction and support for students in the online classroom environment.
B. Participate with the program faculty and in planning, development, implementation of program and curriculum.
A. Provide high quality instruction, direction and support for students in the online classroom environment.
1. Provide rich and timely feedback on student work, being both encouraging and constructively critical.
2. Facilitate class size of up to approximately 24 students.
3. Place students in groups for assignments/discussions.
4. Provide timely and helpful answers to students’ inquiries regarding course material or academic matters.
5. Conduct periodic synchronous interaction sessions.
6. Facilitate and grade all assignments in a timely manner.
7. Enter final course grades by CGPS deadline.
8. Alert Student Services Operations and Program Director(s) to any student issues. This includes performance issues (e.g. failing grades, failing to turn in assignments, etc.) and policy violation issues (e.g. plagiarism).
9. Comply with all pertinent policies and procedures outlined in Abilene Christian University’s Handbook, Faculty Guidelines, and those specified by ACU’s College of Graduate and Professional Studies.
10. Other duties, as assigned and directed by the Assistant Dean for Graduate Studies, CGPS..
B. Participate with the faculty in planning, developing, implementing curriculum.
1. Provide feedback to Program Director(s) for program and/or course improvement.
2. Participate in program and faculty meetings as able.
3. Attend/complete program and CGPS faculty trainings and provide credentialing/records updates as required.
4. Gain and maintain knowledge of trends and information pertaining to program field through current practice, professional reading, active research and/or continuing education.
|Professional Development Requirements
1. Attention to detail and follow through.
2. Time management skills.
3. Maintain confidentiality.
4. Computer proficiency.
5. Excellent verbal communication, written communication, and interpersonal abilities.
6. Provide quality instruction and support to student while maintaining academic and university standards at the graduate level.
7. Ability to collaborate or work independently as the situation requires.
B. Training Modules Required
1. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access
2. TurnItIn Plagiarism checker
3. Google Calendar, Mail, Sheets and Docs
4. Canvas and Bridge (online Learning Platforms)
1. Doctorate degree from an accredited institution in Rhetoric and Composition.
2. A minimum of three years of post-doctorate teaching experience in higher education, preferred.
3. Quality research completed in the last ten years [e.g. publications in peer reviewed journals, conference presentations, program evaluation reports, etc.], preferred.
4. Online instructional experience preferred.
5. Computer literate in software and internet based applications.
6. Expert in APA style (formatting, citation requirements, punctuation, etc.).
1. Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
2. Ability to view and manage role and responsibilities in relation to larger mission, goals and perspective of the University.
3. Collaborative nature, with the ability to build consensus.
4. Outstanding organizational and project management skills with the ability to consistently meet deadlines.
5. Self-motivated and solves problems, asking for input and initiating solutions as appropriate and reasonable.
6. Capacity to quickly learn new software applications.
7. Willingness to receive additional training and/or faculty mentoring.
8. Ability to demonstrate good judgment when interacting with students, other faculty and staff.
||1. Majority of work is performed in front of a computer and on the telephone; must have ability to use the computer and remain stationary for long periods of time.
2. Manage conversations in person, online and by telephone.
3. Work well under pressure and manage stress well.
4. Communicate clearly: speak, read, write, and hear clearly to perform essential functions.
ACU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, disability, genetic information, national or ethnic origin in employment opportunities, in keeping with applicable state and federal law.
ACU is committed to maintaining a safe and secure campus environment and protecting the university's financial and physical assets. Therefore, Abilene Christian University conducts background checks on all candidates for employment in security sensitive positions.